Andy's MDB

Post the custom original Losi Mini builds that you're working on. Keep us updated with pictures as your progress on your project.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Andy's MDB

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 am

Painted some fresh panels for the Mini Desert Buggy. Replaced the metal roof with CF for a more modern look. It's got a mini8 4500kv motor and ESC, Hitec HS-5055MG servo, 2000mah 2s lipo, cvd's, and gpm aluminum steering linkage. I bought metal gears, DD slipper, and some other tranny goodies but haven't torn up the plastic gears yet.
Same color as my 1/36 TBG buggy
Andy
Forum Addict

Re: Andy's MDB

Postby Dialed_In » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:44 pm

That looks really good Andy. It's a shame they discontinued them since desert buggies are making a comeback.
Dialed_In

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Dialed!
I had a Mini Desert Truck before I swapped to the buggy (liked the looks way better), and I can see why Losi made the change- Instead of 4 body clips to get under the shell, to remove the cage you have to remove about 20 screws, some hard to get to. Much more PITA! Luckily I don't need to do much to it.
Made a little backyard course around my rock crawling area- it's very fresh and needs more grooming, more jumps, and more berms.
https://youtu.be/zMlhe6BuDTA
I just picked up a 1/18 ECX Roost Desert Buggy as a beater for friends to use. Since most of my friends are not into the hobby, the 4wd will give them a little bit of an edge over my 2wd. Although I think I'll still win :)
Last edited by Andy on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Dialed_In » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:32 pm

I didn't even notice the body screws but I can see how they would be a pain. They look cool though.

I like your track. It looks eerily similar to the areas around where I live.
Dialed_In

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:47 pm

The Mini Desert Buggy needed some maintenance- tires and shocks were shot. I swapped the shocks for the aluminum ones (LOSB1110). I could not get these to hold oil worth a crap until I used a small piece of plumber's tape on the threads- no leaks after that.
The wheels are mini SCT that I sprayed some Tamiya candy lime green on, and trimmed the beadlock rings a bit. I really like the mini 8ight tires and these look very similar. They are a hair taller than the the stock mini DT tires, so less smacking the chassis on the ground on the rough spots.

Andy
Forum Addict

Postby Dialed_In » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Oragne and green just in time for Halloween! The new tire looks soft. I bet they grip really well.
Dialed_In

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Speaking of orange....

https://youtu.be/yqQO5-Oqgw8

Picked up a used Mini SCT, and painted a fresh shell for it. Fun truck! I think it's my favorite of the old 2WD minis.
Andy
Forum Addict

Return to Mini-Project & Builds